Monday, July 6, 2009

HEB Brownie Mix, now with extra lard

I bought a box of HEB brand brownie mix. Now, when I make brownies, I put pureed spinach in the batter. It makes them moist, adds some nutrients, and you can't taste it at all. I usually buy all-natural brownie mix from the food coop, but grabbed this box of HEB brand mix because it was supposed to be some good old timey recipe.

Well, it was. I made the brownies and decided to look at the box to see if they had regular sugar or corn syrup solids. I found out that they have sugar, but they also contain "vegetable or animal shortening, including any one of the following: beef fat, lard, vegetable oil." WHAT?? They put beef fat and/or pork lard in brownie mix?

I don't really eat pork, but it's not something I 100% avoid, and I definitely eat beef, but the idea of animal fats in my brownies is gross. Not wanting to waste food, and reminding myself that they may not contain animal fat, and even if they do, it's probably trace amounts, I'm going to eat them. However, I'm emailing HEB to ask why it's necessary to include these ingredients.

No comments: